Sullivan Brother Project
This is the 14th year Mr. Kirkholm's class has done a tribute in honor of the 5 Sullivan Brothers who all died during World War 2. The Sullivan brothers George, Francis, Joseph, Madison, and Al from Waterloo, Iowa were all aboard the USS Juneau when a Japanese sub sank it off the Solomon Islands on November 13, 1942.
This year's tribute was organized by Brooke Hays, Alexis Schebaum, and Sylvia Hennings. If you see these girls tell them they did a great job! The final project was sent to Kelly Sullivan, the granddaughter of Al Sullivan (the only brother who was married). Kelly is a 3rd grade teacher in Cedar Falls, Iowa. In 2020 Kelly came to Shenandoah and spoke to the student body and special guests about her family.
The following was what the girls did and the items sent to Kelly:
- They presented a powerpoint to Gabby Sparks and Madison Beecks 3rd grade classes about the Sullivan Brothers and recorded it.
- Had the 3rd grade class make a tribute poster for the Sullivans (it is shown in the photo)
- Next the girls created a slide show with music about the 5 Sullivans
- They had all the 9th grade class create a paper with their picture of themselves, write a tribute to the Sullivans and then ask 3 questions for Kelly. They put all the information on a large poster (shown in the photo)
- And finally Mr. Kirkholm had each student write about what they learned about the Sullivans without using notes.
Special thanks to the 9th grade class and the 3rd grade classes for participating with this tribute!
- Mr. Kirkholm