JK-8 Weekly Update
K-8 Families-- Welcome back to school! I hope everyone had a great first week! It was awesome to have students back in the building, establishing relationships, and setting a foundation for the school year.
This week we have an exceptional guest coming to Shenandoah. Joe Beckman is an author/speaker from Minnesota who has spent the last 15+ years helping educators and students reclaim the human connection. His book, "Just Look Up" and his message will hopefully inspire us to be more connected and give us the positive vibe we need to kick off this school year.
As we head into week two, we will continue to work on things that help us have a great year. Here are some important pieces of information:
1) Morning drop-off went pretty well for the first week. Please remember that we DO NOT PASS in the drop-off line. Stay in line and don't make it unsafe for others. Also remember, if you are in the drop-off line, students should get out of the vehicle on their own. If they can't do that, please use the lower parking lot, park and let them out. It helps the whole process stay moving.
2) Remember that every Wednesday is an early out at 1:25. If there are special dismissal instructions for your student, on Wednesdays, please make sure you communicate that to the office and their teacher.
3) NO SCHOOL on Monday, September 5 for Labor Day.
4) You should have gotten an email from Mr. Weinrich about upcoming sporting events and how to get tickets. NEW THIS SCHOOL YEAR: all of our students get to attend home events for FREE. That being said, all JK-4 students must attend with an adult and they are expected to sit with that adult. 5-8 students may attend on their own but are expected to be sitting and watching the games, they are not to be up and running around. We will go over this during the week at school but your help would be greatly appreciated to help enforce this.
5) Make sure your student has a water bottle at school!
Mrs. Murren has asked me to include this message (see attachments):
ISU Extension STEM Camps are for students in grades K-3 and are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month, beginning September 1st, from 3:30-4:15 PM. Information about the activities in the camp are attached here. If you are interested in participating, please feel free to print the attached sign up form and send it to school with your child, or you can email Mrs. Murren at email@example.com.
From Mrs. O'Rourke:
Kindergartners and preschool families should have gotten information about FREE Visions Screening done by the Lions Club. The screening is September 27th. Please fill out the form and send it back with your student.
As always, don't forget to check out our school website (www.shencsd.com) or Facebook page (www.facebook.com/shenpk8) to keep up with what we are doing here at school.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Thanks and have a great week! --Mr. Burdorf #horsepower